The #1 golf blog for gossip, breaking news and irreverent banter.

June 22, 2004

No top 10 players at the Kemper: Does that suck?

I know it's now the Booz Allen Classic, but if the chairman of BA says his family and co-workers still call it the Kemper, then you're damn right, I will too.

I say it does not suck that no top 10 players will be there. Here's why, Fred Couples, Greg Norman, Billy Andrade and Rich Beem all were first time tour winners at this event. Overall there have been 12 first time winners here. I think it will be a lot of fun to see a young gun playing his heart out to win this week. Will there be a first time winner this week? I say yes.

Next year this event is being played one week before the US Open at Congressional CC. In 2 years it will be back at the TPC at Avenel, which will look like a new golf course. I don't get it, you would think it would not have taken the PGA 18 years to overhaul this course. If the players had such a problem with the course why has it taken so long? There must be something political going on up there in the DC area.

Inviting Michelle Wie to play was a good business decision. I think she was going to decline the invite, but this tourney needs someone to draw a crowd.

No comments:

...More Golf Stuff