"It's easy to grin. When your ship comes in. And you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile, is the man who can smile. When his shorts aren't too tight in the seat." Judge Smails
What's a golf blog without Caddyshack? It's like a cheeseburger without cheese. It's like wiping your ass before you take a dump. It just makes no sense. So I thought in my first mention of this classic movie that we all know and love I'd give you a little quiz. Make sure you are Caddyshack worthy.
These are fairly easy, if you get more than one wrong, please go home immediately and watch Caddyshack repeatedly for the rest of the day. Go ahead and tell your boss No Three Putts said it was ok.
1. Name each of the three ways that Carl tried to kill the gopher.
2. What brand of candy bar is thrown in the pool and mistaken for a brown trout?
3. Name the five luxury functions of Al Czervik's golf bag.
4. What should Al Czervik have yelled instead of fore?
5. How does Ty measure himself against other golfers?
6. What did the Dalai Lama say to Carl in the original tongue?
7. Name each of the three authors of the Caddyshack script proper.
8. What does the bishop say right before he's struck by lightning?
9. Which scene precedes the bishop's quest for the perfect round of golf?
10. During the final round of golf, what does Lou make a side bet on?
11. What business does Ty own but not necessarily run?
12. What reason does Ty give for not sitting down in Carl's apartment?
13. What's the name of the judge's newly christened yacht? What's the name of the yacht that hits it?
14. To what value did Lou raise the price of Coke, and why did he raise it?
15. What music plays when the golf course explodes.
(If you need them, the answers are below)
1. Flooding (hose), shooting (rifle), blowing up (plastic explosive decoys)
2. Baby Ruth
3. Radio, TV, beer tap, phone, club launcher
6. Gunga Lagunga
7. Brian Doyle-Murray, Harold Ramis, Doug Kenney
8. Rat fart
9. Carl Spackler's soliloquy: Cinderella story..."it's in the hole..."
10. The Smails kid picks his nose and then eats it.
11. 2 lumberyards
12. He doesn't want to stick to anything
13. "The Flying Wasp" and "Seafood"
14. 50 cents, because he was losing at the track
15. Tchaikovsky, 1812 Overture
Here's a couple of useful sites for Caddyshack quotes: Garners Classics and Carl Spackler.com. A round of golf without a: "Noonan", "It's in the hole" & "Cinderella Story" is not a round of golf, but then again "A donut without a hole is a danish." Golf would not be the same without Caddyshack. Danny, Lacey Underall, Ty, Al, Spaulding, Judge, Carl, Lou and of course Wang: THANK YOU.