The #1 golf blog for gossip, breaking news and irreverent banter.

August 24, 2004

Hank Haney Golf Ranch, Y'all

Hank Haney owns and operates the Hank Haney Golf Ranch, located in McKinney, Texas. Hank Haney has taught hundreds of pros including Mark O'Meara, Kelli Kuehne and Hank Kuehne. Hank has also been seen on ranges working with Tiger Woods. Although neither Tiger nor Hank will admit that they are working together. Many golf experts, including Butch Harmon, have said Tiger's swing has many similarities to the type of swing that Hank Haney teaches. I hear the name Hank Haney a lot and I see him on golf shows and in magazines. So I decided to read up on just what it is that Hank Haney teaches. And why I or any golfer would pay to go to his ranch (not to be confused with the Bunny Ranch) and be taught his way of golfing. Here's Hank Haney's teaching philosophy: Have a correct swing plane.

It's that simple. Hank Haney teaches his students how to understand the flight of their golf ball by having a correct swing plane. Here's the way Hank describes it "My philosophy as a teacher is to teach my students to become their own best teacher by getting them to understand the flight of the golf ball and how it relates to the swing, with emphasis on swinging the golf club on their own correct swing plane".

Here's what No Three Putts makes of this: Hank Haney is probably a pretty good teacher. I like the fact that he realizes that each golfer has their own unique swing plane. My swing is different than yours and everyone else's... There are too many golf instructors out there that think they are working an assembly line and teach each golfer the same exact thing. Kind of like the crappy instructions you get in golf magazines. They will not work for everyone. The one thing about Hank Haney's teaching that makes me scratch my head is his emphasis on the flight of the ball. Although I understand how it relates to the swing, I'm not sure that it matters that much. If he fixes my swing, the ball should fly properly, end of story. Whether it goes high, low or somewhere in between, if I have been given the proper instruction it should be going where I want it to and that's what's important.

And as for the Hank Haney Power Connection training tool: It'll be a cold day in hell before No Three Putts straps this concoction on his back.

No comments:

...More Golf Stuff