The #1 golf blog for gossip, breaking news and irreverent banter.

August 29, 2004

Commercials are back at the Masters

All good things must come to an end and next years Masters will not be commercial free. The Masters, which became the first commercial free sporting event on network TV in 2003, now has 3 new sponsors. The Masters has signed up IBM, ExxonMobil and SBC Communications as sponsors.

The good news is Hootie Johnson will add 90 minutes of TV coverage to offset the commercials. The bad news is we won't have commercial free golf for the Masters.

Of course, big mouth Martha Burk has already made statements with her disappointment in the sponsors, blah, blah, blah. The usual crap is coming out of her mouth and we all know we'll see her group out there protesting next year.

I commend Hootie Johnson for not commenting on Burk's rhetoric. As I've said before, leave Augusta National alone Martha Burk. Although I liked the commercial free golf, in order to run such a great tournament it was inevitable that sponsors would be needed to offset the costs. I give these 3 companies credit for overlooking this woman and her organizations ignorance. The CEO's of all 3 companies happen to be lucky enough to be members of Augusta National. All I can say is I hope they read this blog and want to invite me out there for a round.

No comments:

...More Golf Stuff